See, girls make up fifty-percent of the population (well, a little more, but that’s semantics). People in the LGBT community, on the other hand, make up a minority of the world, and although our world is moving towards equality, there is still a sense of unfair treatment. This unfair treatment parallels the examples Young uses in her essay. She asserts that women experience their bodies as weak which causes them to experience a gender role of femininity. Dramatic body motions, lifting up heavy objects, and the ability to perform actions and activities thought of as "for boys only" are all looked down upon if you're a woman. For me, being a homosexual man, there are many issues that I feel correlate with the issues Young mentions because gay dudes feel pressure to restrict themselves and their bodies in a similar way. This has nothing to do with biology as all boys are made of the same genetic material. This pressure is the same that society puts on girls. It's like gender roles, but it's exclusively for us.
![]() | |||
| I'm not sure why I like this show |
People can take us and our abilities for granted. Just as Young states that women experience their bodies as fragile and therefore have an inability to use them effectively, there’s a certain societal standard that gay boys are supposed to experience their bodies as weak and be feminine. Now, I’m not saying that all of us have to be masculine; having the Carson Kressleys and Ross Matthews make the world more colorful and complete. The problem, though, is when this perception is used by the media to make the world believe every gay guy is fragile. Some gay boys love shopping, but some of us love lifting weights more. Some of us love watching reality tv—and I will admit; if I see that Oxygen has a Bad Girls’ Club Marathon, you better believe my afternoon will be spent on the couch with Ben and Jerry’s ice-cream in one hand and a bag of Cool-Ranch Doritos in the other—but some of us like playing basketball with our buds more. We have the ability to use our bodies just like straight guys, yet we're expected not to.
Oh, and if you think I'm done talking about stereotypes and experienced feminity, you better bet your season Michigan Football Tickets for 2013 that I'm not. Can we just talk about how gays experience an inability to affect their space around them. Like, can we just talk about this? Young makes a similar argument for girls, saying that girls feel unable to take advantage of and change the spatial surroundings around them; they feel confined and trapped, acting as an opposite to boys who feel that they can control and affect their surroundings. When I’m referring to this concept about gay guys, I’m not necessarily talking about it in the literal sense. I’m talking about the abstract concept for us dudes to influence the ideas and suggestions around an audience of stereotypical bros, gaining their respect in the process.This goal can be almost impossible for us to achieve sometimes. If your voice or ideas come off as even slightly feminine, all the brochachos are just like “dude, no. Why would we listen to that suggestion? That’s freakin’ gay.” Like, what? Are you so uncomfortable with who you are as a person that you can’t even conceptualize the idea of doing something slightly outside of your gender role? Is watching Here Comes Honey Boo (probably the most perfect show in the universe) really going to make your girlfriend think of you differently?
![]() |
| See, even Honey Boo Boo agrees |
Let me tell you something, buddy. I probably talk to her more than you do, and she’d probably think of you as dreamy if you were bold enough to admit that you liked that show. I’m just sayin’, bro. My ability to influence a room, or the body of people within one, is next to impossible when either A) people hear my voice or B) my suggestions are not stereotypically masculine. This doesn’t make me feel all hunky-dory on the inside, and it sure doesn’t make me feel like I can stretch my arms out and open my legs in a way that stereotypically portrays masculinity. In fact, it’s situations like these that make gay boys more prone to certain gestures like crossing their legs, putting their hands in their laps, and keeping their bodies constricted. They don’t feel in control of the people and area around them to feel like they can effectively take control of their space.
![]() |
| Pretty snazzy, huh? |
You’ve heard enough of my venting. What do I and the general gay boy population want? Equality. Just like how Malcom X wanted equality for African Americans, I want social equality for my minority. There are without a doubt some gay guys that love shopping, hate exercise, and want people to view them as their best “gurlfrannnnnn!” that couldn’t lift a ten pound barbell if Channing Tatum walked up to their door and asked. This gender role, however, is not what all of us want. Some of us want to be able to chill with our straight guy friends and have a conversation about football without having to feel like we’re inferior. Some of us want to be a mix of both, having the respect and freedom of motion, control, and expression that other guys get while feeling like we can express our feminine traits without being stereotyped and physically confined. Society seems to be progressing towards this, so I hope we will reach this equality point soon. If we don’t, though, my gay boys and I have our ways to get you all to listen (watch the video below for how).



Michael!!
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing and YOU are amazing for writing such a brave post. It takes a lot of courage to talk about anything personal on a blog, especially something as controversial as sexuality and minority rights. This is how I feel about this making it to the course blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOqSOz4xztl
and speaking of videos, you're missing the gay guys with marry your girlfriends link!
Anyways, on with the actual material of the blog post. I never realized that gay guys felt the same pressure as women to act and move a certain way, but this post definitely opened my eyes. Just as women are expected to be feminine (and thus weak?), gay men are expected to have a girlish persona, even if they do not. What society is missing is a nuanced view of women and gays. What if we want to lift weights (you do, I don't..haha)? Fun fact: when I was little, I actually wanted to be a pitcher. Not a softball pitcher either. I wanted to pitch in the MLB (obviously not the modern language building...that'd be weird). But throwing this way would be perceived as masculine and that's simply a no-no.
Your concept of "the Gays" (god, so creative) is spot on. Women are viewed by society as either sexual (slut) or completely non-sexual (prude or motherly) There is no nuanced view of that one either. Either way, our identities are impossibly intertwined with our sexuality. Thus, we feel that we are constantly being judged based off of that specific part of our identity. Likewise, being gay is such a large part of how society perceives gay men. This creates problems as it makes straight men uncomfortable around gay men, unreasonably..and gay men feel this, as you stated previously. No, gay men are not always wondering if you're gay or plotting how they're going to turn you gay..in fact, that's probably rarely what's on their minds. Gay men have lives completely unrelated to their sexuality, just as straight men do. Same with women. Whether we're a "slut" (America's synonym for sexually active...psh) or a "prude" (does this mean virgin? what does virgin even mean? ugh.) doesn't change how we see men, and shouldn't change how men see us. Don't flatter yourself, straight guys.
ANYWAYS, great post. I'm glad you decided to write it and that I had the opportunity to comment :)