Monday, November 12, 2012

Plato In Italian film


First, play this. It'll get you in the mood to talk Italian cinema.

         Plato’s Allegory of the Cave presents us with the tension between reality and representation. The reality we know is not always the truth, and what we hold to be true may not be reality. Within Plato’s cave, the prisoners know only what they are exposed to. Once one prisoner is exposed to the world, he realizes that what he had previously known to be true was actually an inaccurate representation. What if our world isn’t real? What if what we know is the truth is just a part of the whole? What if everything we know is a lie!?
A strong yet admittedly extreme example of this concept can be found in Roberto Benigni’s famous Italian film, La Vita è Bella (Life is Beautiful).  For those of you who don’t know the plot, it’s about a family enduring life in a concentration camp during the Holocaust. Throughout the movie we follow a father, Guido, and his son, Giosué, through their daily life and challenges at the camp. The unique quality of this movie comes with how they confront and conceptualize reality: Guido successfully convinces Giosué that the entire Holocaust is a game. He intensely protects his child from the brutal reality of Nazism and death that surrounds them and promises that it is just a game to be won. He tells his son that it was especially planned for his birthday and that all the “games” are going to be fun!

This scene is the epitome of how it worked: when a German soldier asks for an Italian translator, Guido takes this opportunity to convince his son that they are in a concentration camp to win a tank (his son’s biggest dream). The entire movie follows the “game” and the progress they “make.” Every day the father comes home to his son and explains how many points he won that day and that the game will only end when someone earns enough to take home the tank.
When reality temporarily permeates the game, Giosué says he heard rumors from other people that they put Jews in an oven and confronts his father with this. Temporarily, he is like the freed prisoner of Plato’s cave. He has heard the truth, but it challenges the reality that his father has created for him to believe.  Guido forces an uncontrollable laugher as a reply, and convinces Giosué that it is an absurd idea. Ovens are for food! Have you ever seen a person in an oven?! Haha! Later, we see the truth when Guido walks by a pile of skeletons. The division between Guido’s reality and Giosué’s reality is constantly juxtaposed to prove that this father is completely molding a reality for his son so that he isn’t exposed to the truth.

If we consider Plato’s Allegory, I don’t think this protective instinct is something he would endorse. He advocates for reality and truth, not deception and mere representation. Maybe times are really rough, but Plato would say that it’s better to deal with them realistically than to fabricate a fake reality. Our goal in life should be to find the truth, not hide behind a convenient and comfortable ignorance. But then Plato would frown upon Guido’s strategy for survival in the concentration camp, and I don’t think he should.
Now let's apply Plato to our own lives: consider whether or not we should blame anyone or anything for our false perceptions of reality. If we are living a lie, is it always a problem? Do we really need to be ascending from the cave? Would it be better for Giosué to know that he was living within an arena of death and brutality than to think incorrectly he was playing a game? I mean I don't think so. Can we blame the ones that care about us for protecting us? Would Giosué shame his father for getting them through the Holocaust the way he did? I certainly don’t think so. 
 Certainly there can be problems that arise from the realities our parents build for us. They protect us by convincing us that certain things are realistic and that our lives will follow the rules of such a reality, but what if we never grew out of it? What if the depiction of reality that has been forced upon us becomes all that we know and believe? “He bullies you because he likes you,” for example. If I go on my entire life thinking that every person who ever bullied me was secretly in love with me, it would cause some issues. I don’t debate that.
But sometimes these “lies” are necessary for happiness, and in the case of Guido and Giosué, survival. If we can grow up and ascertain the truth, I argue that no harm is done. I’d be a lot more upset as a child if I did know the truth; if I were the only prisoner outside the cave of childhood, it would be lonely and depressing without Santa and the Tooth fairy in my life. The truth comes to us with age, and when it does, it feels like a slap in the face from reality. But this is ultimately better than the alternative. 
 I admit that there are limits to how appropriate fabrications are, but in La Vita è Bella, the reality built by Guido for his son is within reason. He only convinced his child to play the Holocaust game because it was his means of survival. When Giosué grew up after the war he obviously realized the reality of his childhood situation and what his father had done for him. Fake representations of reality are threaded within our childhoods but I’d debate with Plato that it’s okay. And Giosué would have my back on this one. 

4 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    I first want to express my admiration towards this post. Not only do I really like La Vita è Bella, but it is also a very strong example for this particular concept. You have done a very good job of presenting and arguing the counter experience of Plato's allegory.

    As I was reading through your post, I started contemplating the idea of always presenting the truth to children. In this case of Giosué, not only did his make-believe world shield him from the horrific truth that surrounded him, but it also influenced his psychological development. Many times, we don't express the truth to children because they simply can't fully grasp particular concepts. Take sex as an example. We don't tell children that (typically anyways) they are a product of a sexual encounter between their parents. Why not? Well, then we have to explain what sex entails, and because children can't actually experience sex they're unable to fully understand what sex entails. Children need to SEE or EXPERIENCE concepts to fully comprehend them. In this case of sex, it would be a little unethical to allow children to see or engage in sex. Going along with this, I agree that the reality or truth can't always be ETHICALLY expressed to the youth. However, I think that if Plato were asked to contemplate reality in regards to children's experience, he would also assert that the truth can't fully be expressed to them. I think his allegory of the cave is mostly related to an adult's experience with society's limitation of reality. Regardless, I do agree that some experiences need restrictions, and it is vital for an individual to eventually learn the truth so they can begin creating ACTUAL realities around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    Thank you for this great post, I really enjoyed reading it and learning about this film. Though I have never seen it before, I love what the clip showed, the face on that little boy was priceless. I think this idea of false realities is very complicated in the sense that especially in parenting, I can imagine the struggle in what to hide from your children and what to be open with them about. I was raised in a household that was very honest. No question was a dumb question, and my parents always told me that they would never hide things from me, or lie to me. As bad as it may sound, many parents do lie to their children. Whether they defend this action by sating that it protects them from knowledge that may "stunt" their childhood, or whatever reasoning they claim, in my opinion it is still lying and should be seen as what it truly is, unfair. I remember when 9/11 happened and my parents came to get me from school early. My teacher wasn't allowed to tell our class what exactly was going on because it wasn't her place to do so, but was clearly upset. My parents were upfront with my brother and me by telling us that bad guys called "terrorists" flew airplanes full of americans into two big buildings in New York City. My brother and I could tell that this clearly upset my parents and were somewhat passive, as we really didn't know how to react. My Mom tells us, to this day, that while watching the news, I said "those guys are going to jail for this I bet" while my brother in return yelled at me saying "No, Becca. They can't because everybody is dead." This exchange between me and my brother was one that both of my parents never forgot because it goes to show just how seemingly innocent and truly clueless children are. They don't really grasp the severity of situations when they aren't directly affecting them. I think being raised in this way really shaped me as a person, as I was forced to grow up much quicker than other friends of mine. But instead of being frustrated by that, I cherish it. I think providing a false sense of reality for your children teaches them to hide from the truth, and therefore makes it harder for them to face struggles as they grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    This reminds me of an experience I had as a child that relates very much to this blog post. It was September 11th, 2001. I think I remember people going home from school and not knowing why, but that could just be a creation. Anyways, I'm sure I remember very clearly walking in the front door and seeing my parents watching TV. They were both distraught, and at first, neither would tell me what was going on. My Mom finally said to my Dad, "Jim, she will find out eventually," and my Dad told me what had happened. He said that people had flown planes into two big buildings in New York City, the Twin Towers. I had seen them that summer when I visited the Statue of Liberty and even have multiple pictures with the buildings in the background (weird, right?), but I had no idea of the importance of those buildings. I kinda shrugged it off and went on with my day, only getting upset when someone told me in the coatroom the next day that a dog had died in the attack. It wasn't for many years that I completely understood the reality of the situation - how truly horrible that day was.

    So. Basically, for a brief moment, I was in a similar situation to Giouse. My parents were attempting to shield me from a harsh and horrific reality. That was a bold move for both Guido and my parents, considering in his case he was living it and in my case it was right in front of my face on TV. I was essentially living in Plato's Cave, blind to the truth.

    But there is another issue - even when I knew the truth, I didn't understand it. I was still living in the cave, still blind to reality. Aren't we all faced with this sort of blindness? Don't we all have situations that took some time for us to really understand? So why are we in this cave? In my case, my cave was one of immaturity. I just didn't get it because I was too immature to see the big picture. Sometimes, the cave is not one of close mindedness or social construct - it is one of inability to see.

    I should probably just make this into a full blog post. Watch out for it soon, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not yet watched Life is Beautiful, but just last night my roommate showed me the trailer and the lead actor's reaction to winning an Oscar (watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cTR6fk8frs). I really look forward to watching it.

    I do agree that Plato would be hesitant to approve the father's lying to his son, but I don't think I would agree with him. Ignorance is bliss, yet as a character in Game of Thrones says, "What you don't know almost always kills you," and it is fair to say that it is true. However, there are some situations where I would support lying to conceal the ugly truth. When children are involved, it is often the better option to lie to them to keep gruesome facts away from them. And it is for the same reason that parents don't take their kids to an R-Rated movie that involves rape or murder. Children are absolutely not ready to face the ugly truth because they are unable to comprehend it and they are easily impressionable. Why is it necessary to burst the bubble of bliss for a child who has no ability to change the world. If you're an adult and you live in ignorance, you can have a negative impact on the world, but a child cannot change the world at such a young age, nor can he comprehend it.

    So in the end, I would completely agree with you that the fabrication Guido makes for his son is acceptable, and I would say that it is the best solution. Shielding an adult is what Plato advocates against and eventually the child has to become aware of the truth, and he will. But it makes no sense to force the ugly truth upon a child at a young age when he still can't completely understand and analyze it.

    ReplyDelete